Sunday, January 6, 2008

Quickie with Maxie!

Maxie's Southern Comfort. Completely child-friendly, they have crayons, enough room and a loud din to cover any tantrum. The bathrooms even have a changing table! Yes, what a wonderful woman Maxie is. I think she may even like kids.


Maxie's offers a menu just for the shorty, with obligatory fried chicken (a little bland considering the portion is so large the Adult is going to have to finish it), fish fry, burger, and butter noodles. One thought, if you like your kid to get a few veggies with their carbs, ask them to hold the fries and bring out a side of their vegetable of the day. The second my daughter sees fries, all bets are off and nothing else is going to be consumed. I can't believe I still don't follow this advice. Must be the wine.

The wine...they have a great list. We opted for a white since we were all having fish and starting with the oysters for happy hour (half price!). The Albrecht Pinot Blanc, Alsace, France, 2005 has a hint of the sea in it, which makes for a lovely fish pairing. You can smell the ocean in this glass, and the lemony hint is subtle and superb. Check the web site for the other options. www.maxies.com. They have numerous specials on various days but the 2 that hit me were the $1 kids menu on Sunday and the Vino Vendsday. Again, check the site, it's got everything from menus to specials & catering.

OK, so this was to be a quick one, since I've been absent and I don't want to scare anyone with my rants. The oysters were excellent, fresh and briny. The gumbo was really good but okra, ick! Not for me. I had the supper club salad, with blue cheese and raspberry vinaigrette. I added ahi tuna for $7.95 (it says 8.95 on the web site?) and it filled up this salad perfectly. It was done seared and rare. Even the waitress remarked that it looked lovely.

From what I could tell, everyone had a superb time chomping on chicken fingers and fries, ahi tuna in Cajun sauces and big steamy bowls of gumbo. This place does an nice little electric slide for me, I'll be back, with and without the kids. Maybe I'll even drink my way through the wine list. Care to join me?

~Betty!

MAXIES SOUTHERN COMFORT
6732 WEST FAIRVIEW, TOSA 414.292.3969

KID RATING: 5
PARENT RATING: 5
BETTY BON VIVANT RATING SYSTEM: 1-5
1 = ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH THE EFFORT, SAVE YOUR $ FOR BAROLO
5 = WOW, I WOULD STRIP NAKED AND ROLL IN THIS CHOW




Happy Hour Every Day 4pm-6pm - Half-Priced Raw Oysters and Clams

No comments: