Thursday, September 6, 2007

Wine Vamp: The Weird & The Wonderful


Santa Barbara County Roussanne, Appellation Series - 2005

Generally, when it comes to edible leanings, one might not gravitate towards something classified as "weird", but I really have no other word for this wine (or do I? freakish, spooky, psycho, mental). The local distributor mentioned that this unique (nicer than weird, older thesaurus) white wine had notes of mango, orange blossom, peach, honey fruits, cinnamon, apricot, carmel and tangerine. Whew! This wine is busy. Unique, well put.

It's got a little tiny effervescence to it, or it just bit my tongue. I found it had a smoky nose, jarring initial intensity that mellows out after a few sips. Roussane has a pow! to it that I really liked and I could love more whites that have this much excitement pouring out of them. Kinda sweet, long finish. After careful consideration I did feel all the bits about the tropical fruits, more so the non-sweet musky fruits like papaya. Cinnamon? I think that's a stretch.

This varietal is not usually found outside the Rhone, Rosenblum Cellars in Santa Barbara, makes a small lot of it and sells it via their website. $18 + shipping. Reasonably priced, and possibly still available at Ray's if you're fast: $22.


Prosit!

~Betty

No comments: